Frequently Asked Questions about Graduate Programs at SUNY Plattsburgh

Can I submit my application after the deadline?

Answer: Applications received after the deadlines of October 15th (Spring matriculation) and February 15th (Summer or Fall matriculation) may be considered on a space-available basis for some programs. PROGRAMS THAT REQUIRE INTERVIEWS GENERALLY WILL NOT CONSIDER LATE APPLICATIONS. The following programs presently conduct interviews shortly after the application deadline: Counselor Education (all programs), School Psychology, Speech-Language Pathology, Literacy, Teaching and Learning, and M.S.T. Childhood and Adolescence Education. Candidates will be contacted by the program department about the interview date.

Photo of SUNY Plattsburgh students in classroom

The C.A.S. in Educational Leadership has rolling admissions and will consider applications at any time. The M.S. in Leadership will accept applications from the February 15th deadline until June 30th for Fall matriculation. The M.S.Ed. in Special Education will accept applications after the deadlines of October 15th and February 15th. Check "Dates and Deadlines" for admission deadline extensions.

All graduate candidates are responsible for making certain that their applications are complete. Incomplete applications will not be considered.

Can I take some graduate credits at SUNY Plattsburgh before I apply for admission?

Answer: Yes. If the course(s) are appropriate for the degree program you've selected, you may be able to apply from 1 to 12 credit hours earned as a non-matriculated student toward a graduate degree. To avoid any disappointments, we strongly recommend that you discuss your plans with an advisor in the appropriate department before taking any courses. Please note that no more than 12 graduate credit hours taken as a non-matriculated student (including credits earned at Plattsburgh) may be applied toward a graduate degree at Plattsburgh. You should achieve a grade of B or higher in order to use these courses toward your degree. Remember: there is a risk to taking non-matriculated graduate coursework; you may not be accepted into the graduate program when you finally get around to applying.

For more information about taking and registering for courses as a non-matriculated student, visit the Registrar's webpage and download the Non-Matriculated Student Registration Form.

How many credits can I transfer into a graduate program at Plattsburgh?

Answer: Twelve (12) is the maximum number of credit hours that may be transferred into a master's degree program at Plattsburgh from another accredited institution or earned at Plattsburgh as a non-matriculated student.

Each transferred course must have been completed with a grade of B (3.0) or higher. Approval of transfer credit is the responsibility of the faculty of the department/program which supervises the graduate program and the dean of the appropriate division.

Does Plattsburgh offer graduate courses off campus?

Answer: Yes. Graduate-level programs/coursework in Teaching and Learning  (M.S.Ed.), Educational Leadership (C.A.S.), Childhood Education and Adolescence Education (M.S.T.),  Leadership (M.S. and Advanced Certificate), and Early Childhood Education (Advanced Certificate) are currently offered to students at the SUNY Plattsburgh at Queensbury. The SUNY Plattsburgh at Queensbury office is open Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM. Students may obtain information on programs, advisement and counseling services, and schedules of courses at SUNY Plattsburgh at Queensbury by calling (518) 792-5425 for information or an appointment. All application materials are submitted through the Graduate Admissions Office on the Plattsburgh Campus. Questions about your application, application materials, and the application process should be directed to the Graduate Admissions Office by email to or by phone at (518) 564-4723 or (800) 723-9515.

What is considered full-time study?

Answer: Generally, a minimum of 12 credits is considered full-time. Graduate Assistants whose graduate assistantship is directly related to their educational program (e.g., when the assistantship is within their academic department) may take a minimum of 9 credit hours.

Can I apply on-line?

Answer: No. However, graduate application forms are available on the graduate website. You can download them and print them out to be completed and returned by mail.

If I graduated from SUNY Plattsburgh, do I have to submit an official transcript?

Answer: No. Upon receipt of your application for admission, the Graduate Admissions Office will obtain your transcript from the Registrar's Office for use in your graduate file.

Do I have to pay the application fee?

Answer: Yes. The application fee is a non-refundable processing fee required of all applicants unless the applicant was in the GOAL (Grow Our Own Administrators Locally) Program or the EOP/HEOP/SEEK program as an undergraduate student. The EOP/HEOP/SEEK applicant should submit the application fee slip indicating previous EOP status. Verification of enrollment in one of these programs is required if the applicant's undergraduate college is other than SUNY Plattsburgh.

Do you offer graduate assistantships?

Answer: Yes. SUNY Plattsburgh currently offers over 25 Graduate Assistantships for well-qualified, full-time matriculated graduate students. Assistantship positions are only available pending funding. Graduate assistants typically work 20 hours per week for the academic year (10 months). Most assistantships start in the fall semester. All assistantships carry a tuition waiver and a stipend. General information about assistantships and the graduate assistantship application may be obtained from the Graduate Admissions Office. Detailed information, including a list of available assistantships, may be found at Graduate Assistantships. Assistantship applications must be submitted to the Graduate Admissions Office by February 15th. Interviews are coordinated by the department(s) offering the assistantship(s).

How long will I have to complete my graduate degree or certificate?

Answer: For master's degree programs of less than 60 credits, students who matriculated in the fall 2007 or later must complete all degree requirements within seven (7) years of the date of matriculation. For certificates of advanced study programs and master's degree programs of 60 credits or more, students who matriculated in the fall 2007 or later must complete all degree requirements within ten (10) years of the date of matriculation. For all graduate programs, only credits earned no more than ten (10) years prior to degree completion may be counted toward the degree. (Students who matriculated prior to the fall of 2007 in certificate programs of 60 credits or more who did not have a master's degree at the time of matriculation may apply credits earned up to fourteen (14) years prior to degree completion. Any credits from a completed master's degree accepted toward the completion of a certificate of advanced study are accepted irrespective of the date of the credits earned.)

What if I need to withdraw from my graduate program, either during a semester or for a couple of semesters?

Answer: Withdrawal from SUNY Plattsburgh is permissible within the guidelines specified in the General Information section of the Undergraduate and Graduate College Catalog. A Graduate Studies College Withdrawal Form is available for download. When you plan to return to your graduate studies, you will need to complete an Intent to Return to Graduate Study Form. You will not need to pay any fees to be reinstated as a matriculated student. However, your time limitations for completion of your degree program and application of transfer credits or credits acquired in non-matriculated status does not change. Financial aid recipients should consult with a financial aid adviser to determine the impact upon their financial aid before processing a withdrawal form.

Is campus employment available?

Answer: Yes. The Career Development Center, located in the Kehoe Administration Building, assists students in locating part-time and summer jobs through various programs, both on campus and with employers in the community. On-campus employment opportunities include part-time positions through Student Temporary Service, Research Foundation, and College Auxiliary Services as well as some campus offices. A student must be currently enrolled at SUNY Plattsburgh to use the services of the Career Development Center. Demonstration of financial need is not required. For information, call (518) 564-2071.

Is campus housing available for graduate students?

Answer: Yes. Campus housing - in one of 12 comfortable and modern residence halls - is available to graduate students who request it. Most graduate students opt to live off campus where ample housing is available. For information concerning housing options, contact the Dean of Students Office at (518) 564-3824; toll-free at (800) 569-5716; or send an e-mail to

Is child care provided on campus?

Answer: Yes. The SUNY Plattsburgh Child Care Center offers a variety of full-time and part-time enrollment options. Open year-round, the center is licensed to provide developmentally appropriate early care and education for children between the ages of six weeks and five years. The center is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). For information, please contact the Center at (518) 564-2274.

Still Have Questions?

Please feel free to browse our directory of Frequently Asked Questions about SUNY Plattsburgh.

Contact Information

The Graduate Admissions Office is located on the 1st floor of the Kehoe Administration Building.

Phone: (518) 564-4723
Toll-Free: (800) 723-9515 (In U.S. and Canada)
FAX: (518) 564-4722

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Summer Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Mailing Address:

Graduate Admissions Office—113 Kehoe
SUNY Plattsburgh
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901-2681 USA