Optometry Study Option
Our Optometry Study Option Allows You To:
- Gain admission into an optometry program at the start of your college career.
- Begin your optometry training after only 3 years at SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Complete your final 26 credits at the State University of New York College of Optometry.
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Biology, 3+4 Optometry Study Option (94 + 26 credits)
Students who wish to continue on to optometry school may wish to opt for the biology (3+4 optometry) major. This major provides a solid foundation in chemistry, physics, and biology before the student moves on to the New York State School of Optometry.
SUNY Optometry Acceptance Requirements
If you are applying as an incoming freshman, you must meet the following criteria to be accepted to SUNY Optometry:
- high school grade average of be 93% or better;
- be in the top 10% of your class;
- and have an average and SAT score minimum of 1300 total (at least 670 Math and 550 Verbal) or an ACT minimum of 32.
If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply to SUNY Optometry in your sophomore year. In this case, you must:
- follow the requirements of curriculum 733;
- maintain an overall GPA of 3.3 or higher;
- maintain a CUM in math and science courses of 3.3 or higher; and
- have no grades in math or science courses lower than C in order to apply.
- The application process includes taking the OAT (Optometric Admissions Test).
If you would like more information about biological sciences at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Dr. Neil Buckley, Chair
Office: Beaumont Hall 444
Phone: (518) 564-3155